08/04/2016

MUSIC | WINTER 2015-2016 PLAYLIST

I'm going to try to be more regular in my playlist posts and to upload a playlist every season. Hopefully, I'll be able to post monthly playlist and even weekly playlists one day. So here's what I've been listenning to this winter :

Bring Me The Horizon - Throne



I clearly misjudged "That's the Spirit" when it came out. It was too pop, less metal and way too commercial. So I kind of bashed it on social media (be sure to follow me on Twitter though). Sorry. I apologized on Twitter later on this year, saying that I gave it a second chance and absolutely loved it. So it's not just "Throne" but the whole album (special shoutout to "True Friends" which could have been written by myself. Ha.) "Doomed" and "Run" are really good as well.

Rob Zombie - Dragula



Well I got to thank Spotify and there amazeballs metal essentials playlist for that one. Rock on !

Don Broco - Money Power Fame



I got that song from the same Spotify playlist and it rocks ! Hey England has good music !

Nightwish - Over the Hills and Far Away



Same playlist. Well I first heard about Nightwish when I was 13. I love how epic they sound, yes epic.

Kid Cudi - Fairy Tale Remains



"Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven" may have confused some Kid Cudi fans but not me. I can totally sense in this album that Cudder tries to channel Cobain vibes. It is all about guitars and heartfelt lyrics. Once again, he opens A LOT in the lyrics of this album. Just like me with "That's The Spirit", just give it another shot. Here are my favourite ones: "CONFUSED !", "Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven", "Trauma" and "MELTING".

Christine and the Queens - Safe and Holy



I knew Christine and The Queens before she got mainstream. Yes, that's very hipster to say but I really don't like to be associated to some general craze. Anyway, new Christine and the Queens songs were well needed and that one imediately spoke to my heart. I starting singing after just a couple of seconds of the song without knowing the lyrics just because it was meant to be. I like how powerful her tracks are to me.

ANOHNI - 4 DEGREES



Can we all agree on how this track is empowering ? The production (hey Hudson Mohawke) just sends chills down my spine. And damn, this voice ! It makes me want to cry and conquer the world at the same time. Can this be even possible ?!

Justin Bieber - Love Yourself



Yep, no shame to admit that I've been singing this JB song a bunch of times this winter. And don't say you did not because it is now a well known fact that Justin Bieber got so good, everybody agrees now that it's time to come out of the closet and admit to liking his songs. Get over it.

Blink 182 - Always



I got my first Blink 182 T-shirt and sweatshirt this winter. So because of the thrill, I listenned to old Blink 182 underrated tracks, such as "Always". And I think I cried a lot on "All of This". Yes, I'm still emo as fuck.

Maître Gims - Sapés comme jamais ft. Niska



It's just a song that is really trending in France. The instrumental just instantaneously makes my hips move. I don't know why. Actually I do, it's because of these Congoleese vibes I grew up with !

Yaël Naïm - Toxic



This Yaël Naïm song was my everything this winter to chill. I love to sing over it, it is so smooth and sexy and mysterious. The original was a masterpiece of its kind, but that one comes down straight from heaven.

James Blake - Life Round Here



James Blake is the definition of white boy genius. The instrumenal is perfection and his voice takes me so, so far. I could just listen to that one track for hours and not getting bored. I want to meet him and get an idea of what's going on inside the brain of his. I'm sure it's hella something.

Para One - You Too



This was my jam when I was in Milan. I like how first it sounds like an H&M fitting rooms anouncement or a track that would play in a fancy concept store. And then at some point, it turns into a really Kitsuné Records like track. Makes me wish I was drinking a margarita on the beach in the south of France. When is summer again ?

TALA - Alchemy



This is the kind of track that deeply makes me want to cry. Maybe it's the lyrics or the vibes it spreads. But it is just so powerful I wanna scream my pain away while listenning to it. Definitely one of my best finds.

A.G. Cook - Beautiful



How could I describe this track ? It's cheerful, it's fast, it's happy, it's pop, it makes you feel good. I think I listen to it a lot under the shower to get more energy or while getting ready to go out, to get in the mood.

Atili Bandalero - Tomorrow ft. Prendy



I heard that trakc on Radio Nova. It is actually longer. I like its reggae vibe which is perfect to relax on and plan summer vacations (as if).

Mura Masa - Lotus Eater



This is from Radio Nova as well. It's Fakear meets Nujabes meets Bonobo meets Hudson Mohawke. It makes you travel to Asia and do ninja moves you didn't know you knew. Yep. Oh, and listen to "U" as well. You're welcome.

Babarossa - Imager



A find from Radio Nova as well. I have to admit that I listenned to this track at least a hundred times the day I heard it first. I was hooked. It is so chill and mind-blowing. How the fuck does Radio Nova find all of these amazing musicians ?

Bachar Mar-Khalifé - Lemon



Electronic music with oriental sounds and arabic singing. Yep, it's from Radio Nova as well. And it is not something you don't want to miss. It is a really surprising mix and it works really REALLY well.

The Vaccines - Wetsuit



Thanks Spotify for making me rediscover this amazing track. The singer has strong vocal skills and a powerful vibrato. I'm jealous. I'm gonna put my wetsuit on, BRB...

Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer



I know I'm like a hundred years behind in terms of mainstream music but this one is one of my favourite shower songs as well. And I confess now I've always been a fan of Demi Lovato so...

Selena Gomez - Same Old Love



I like how jazzy (sort of) this song sounds like. It has some groove in it. But Selena still have some poor vocal skills. Anyway, I listenned to it pretty much everyday on my way to uni because it's smooth to wake up to.

Ellie Goulding - On My Mind



Y'all should know by now that I'm a huge Goulding fan. Event though her music doesn't sound as edgy as before she joined Taylor Swift squad I still kind of like what she does. I'm pretty sure Spotify is gonna tell me by the end of 2016 that "On My Mind" is the song I streamed most this year.

Grimes - Life in the Vivid Dream



Grimes was my best musical discovery back in 2014. So in late 2015 when she dropped her new album, "Art Angels", I streamed it on Spotify a trilion times. It's not what she used to do, it more pop, less edgy but still has Grimes madness in it. I went to see her live when she was in Paris. It was really good, she is so tiny and cute and weird, but damn it was short. She left the stage after 45minutes with no encore. So disapointed.

See you at the end of spring for a new playlist ! 

Armelle De Oliveira


1 commentaires:

Your notes are keeping this blog alive ! Thank you !